Where Is The Obliquus capitis superior?
One of the suboccipital muscles - Part of the suboccipital triangle.
Obliquus capitis superior pain symptoms
If this muscle is tight on one side it will rotate the first vertebra out of place.
What is the function of the Obliquus capitis superior?
- Stabilize the head and first vertebra.
- Rotates the head.
- Tilts the head so that the chin raises.
Where is the Origin and Insertion of the Obliquus capitis superior?
The Side of C1 - Transverse process of the atlas vertebra
Between the superior and inferior nuchal lines of occipital bone.
Where are the Suboccipital Muscles?
The suboccipitals are a group for four small muscles that attach at the C1 or C2 vertebrae. The are located at the top of the neck.
These are four paired muscles
- Rectus capitis posterior major BLUE - located on the spinous process of the axis (C2) to the occipital bone.
- Rectus capitis posterior minor GREEN - located on the center of the posterior arch of the atlas to the occipit.
- Obliquus capitis superior GREEN - located at the transverse process of the atlas to the occiput.
- Obliquus capitis inferior RED - located at the pine of the axis vertebra to the transverse process of the atlas.